The Hotchkiss H39 superseded the H35 series light tanks in French Army service, being produced in more numbers than her forerunner prior to the Fall of France in June 1940. The original two-man H35 Light Tank appeared in 1936 and was intended as an "infantry support" platform armed modestly with a 37mm SA18 series cannon and a single 7.5mm Reibel machine gun in a traversing turret. Power was served through 6-cylinder, gasoline-fueled engine delivering 78 horsepower for a maximum speed of 17 miles per hour and an operational range of 80 miles. As its designation would suggest, the H36 was adopted for military service in 1936.
From 1938 an improved version was produced with a stronger engine, the Char léger modèle 1935 H modifié 39, which from 1940 was also fitted with a longer, more powerful 37mm gun. It was intended to make this improved variant the standard light tank, with at least four thousand produced to equip new armoured divisions of both the Cavalry and the Infantry, but due to the defeat of France in June 1940 total production of both subtypes was limited to about 1,200 vehicles. For the remainder of the war, Germany and its allies used captured Hotchkiss tanks and redesignated them as PzKpfw 38H 735(f).
Product Highlights: - All resin kit - Highly detailed - Factory cleaned - Includes both short SA18 & long SA38 gun - Includes components to convert to a PzKpfw 38H 735(f) - Waterslide decal sheet included